WOW! I looked at my calendar for today this morning, and all I can say is, well, WOW!
It’s First Thursday — which means admission to the Henry is FREE (It’s always suggested donation — but if you would like to “suggest” that you’re not paying anything, FREE First Thursday is an excellent day for YOU)
And not only is the Henry free on First Thursdays — lots of other folks are, too. Here’s a quick list:
Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture * 10:00 am – 8:00 pm * http://www.burkemuseum…
Experience Music Project * 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm * http://www.emplive.com
Museum of Flight * 10:00 am – 9:00 pm * http://www.museumoffli…
Museum of History and Industry * 10:00 am – 8:00 pm * http://www.seattlehist…
Northwest African-American Museum * 11:00 am – 7:00 pm * http://www.naamnw.org
Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame * 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm * http://www.sfhomeworld…
Seattle Art Museum * 10:00 am – 9:00 pm * http://www.seattleartm…/
Seattle Asian Art Museum * 10:00 am – 9:00 pm * http://www.seattleartm…
Wing Luke * 10:00 am – 8:00 pm * http://www.wingluke.org/
- Here at the Henry, ASUW is presenting a lunchtime music showcase from 11AM to 1 in the sculpture court with three bands: Hush’d Puppies, Audio District, and Grim Smiley. Also, Molly’s serves the best coffee (Stumptown) on campus — and sandwiches that exceed any and all sandwich expectations (The Farmer’s Daughter, with tart apples and sharp cheddar; The Classic Berty, with pork loin, caramelized onions, and marmalade…). The music is free, but you’ll have to pay for the coffee and sandwiches.
- Later in the afternoon, the Henry hosts its Annual Meeting. The general public is invited to come at 4:45; and it’s a great chance to see our excellent Board of Trustees in action, review the past year – and hear more about what’s coming up.
- Then, the real First Thursday-ness begins. Along with the Pioneer Square gallery walking, you can see THIS in Occidental Park, from 3PM until 8PM.
- At Western Bridge, the newest chapter in the New Year saga is Jennifer West’s Flash Mountain:
New Year 10
Opening Reception Thursday, June 3, 6–8pm
Artist Talk at 7pm
June 3 –12, 2010
For the tenth installment in New Year, Western Bridge’s series of two-week projects, Jennifer West presents a new film.
The source image for West’s film was made with the involuntary cooperation of Disney, whose automated camera photographed West and her three collaborators flashing while riding Disneyland’s Splash Mountain. This notoriously popular activity led Disney to assign employees to delete images of flashers before they showed up on the screen at the ride’s exit, but that crew was removed during a wave of layoffs this spring. Reading about these cutbacks in the Los Angeles Times, West conceived this new work. She rephotographed Disney’s image as the basis for Flash Mountain, her first film derived a still photograph. West’s working method involves staining and altering her films during production; Flash Mountain introduces a pun on the word “flash” through the use of solarization during both shooting and film processing.
- On a completely different note – it is Cheezburger night at the Mariners.
- And then after first Thursday, don’t miss Frances Farmer Organ Karaoke at Vermillion.