Coming to the Henry this week? Keep in mind that 15th Avenue is still, very much, under construction – and give yourself a few extra minutes. The UW parking garage under the Henry is definitely still OPEN and available – it just takes an extra minute or so to navigate between the bulldozers and trucks. For up-to-the-day project info, visit SDOT’s website.
15th Avenue NE Reconstruction – Weekly Project Update
February 14, 2011
Construction activity February 14th – February 20th
The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is reconstructing 15th Ave NE between NE Pacific St and NE 45th St. This work is weather dependent and the schedule is subject to change.
Weekday work: February 14th – February 18th
Planned work hours: 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- · Handholes – Installation of electrical handholes throughout the project (handholes are boxes set in the sidewalk or street used to access electrical wire)
- · Electrical Conduit – Trench and install conduit behind curb on east side of 15th Ave NE between NE Pacific St and NE 40th St, and on west side between NE 40th St and NE 41st St
- · Bus Shelter – Install electrical conduit and rebar in preparation to pour bus shelter pad at southwest corner of 15th Ave NE and NE 40th St
- · Sidewalks – Demolition and replacement of sidewalk on west side of 15th Ave NE between NE Pacific and NE 41st St, and between NE 42nd St and NE 43rd St (This work will be performed on one-half of the sidewalk leaving the other half of the sidewalk available for pedestrian traffic)
Weekend work: February 19th – February 20th
Planned work hours: 7:00 a.m. Saturday – 10:00 p.m. Sunday.
Work activity between NE Pacific St and NE 45th St:
- · Demolition and repaving in the southbound lane of 15th Ave NE, approximately 2500 linear feet
- · Demolition and repaving of a portion of the eastbound lane of Campus Parkway west of 15th Ave NE
- · Driveway removal and replacement at parking garage at 1414 NE 42nd St
- · Work breakdown for demolition and repaving:
- Ø Excavation and grading (starts 7:00 a.m. Saturday)
- Ø Demolition of existing road (starts 9:00 a.m. Saturday)
- Ø Concrete pouring (6:00 p.m. Saturday to 6:00 a.m. Sunday)
- Ø Saw-cutting the newly poured concrete roadway before the concrete cures to prevent cracks (Sunday 1:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.). This will generate some intermittent noise.
Weekend Traffic Restrictions
- · NE Pacific St to NE 45th St – Southbound lanes closed and detoured to Brooklyn Ave NE from 7:00 a.m. Saturday until 10:00 p.m. Sunday. One northbound lane will remain open.
- · The following side streets will be closed to through traffic between University Way NE & 15th Ave NE with local access only: NE Campus Parkway, NE 41st St, NE 42nd St, and NE 43rd St.
- · Turning restrictions will be in place on side streets.
Weekend Pedestrian Information
Pedestrian detours will be in place this weekend due to the length of roadway being removed and replaced. Uniformed police officers and flaggers will be available to advise pedestrians of the easiest location to cross the roadway. Pedestrians will be able to cross 15th Ave NE at the following places:
- · NE Pacific St
- · NE 40th St
- · Pedestrian Overpass at Campus Parkway
- · Between NE 42nd St & NE 41st St – temporary pedestrian crossing
- · NE 43rd St
- · NE 45th St
For more Project specific information:
Visit our project website: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/pave_15thavene.htm
Call: Construction communications officer, Bob Derry, at 206-250-2865
During construction, bus stops along 15th
Ave NE will be consolidated. During weekend work, southbound buses normally traveling on 15th between NE 45th St and NE Pacific St will be detoured. SDOT is coordinating its work with local transit providers who will communicate any route changes to customers directly.
For the week of February 14th the southbound bus stops at NE 43rd St and NE 40th St will be closed. The southbound stops at NE Campus Parkway and NE Pacific St will be open. All northbound bus stops between NE Pacific St and NE 45th St will be open.
Please see rider alerts at the closed stop or contact King County Metro or Sound Transit for alternate bus stop locations.
Useful transit links and contacts:
Metro’s customer service line: 206-553-3000
Metro Rider Alerts: http://metro.kingcounty.gov/signup/index.html
Metro Bus Tracker: http://metro.kingcounty.gov/oltools/tracker.html
Sound Transit Rider Information: 888-889-6368
Sound Transit Rider Alerts: http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-Sound-Transit/Rider-Alerts.xml
One Bus Away: http://www.onebusaway.org/
SDOT is committed to keeping you and your community informed as this project moves through construction. Please reply to this email with “unsubscribe” in the subject line if you would like to be removed from the list.